CHARLIE ANDERSON, PRESIDENT AND CEO
As President and CEO of Anderson Media, Charlie Anderson serves as the third generation of leadership for a family-owned business that has pioneered the marketing and distribution of entertainment products. Under Charlie’s leadership, Anderson Media has grown to become the country’s largest distributor of pre-recorded music, books and movies.
Charlie has served as President and CEO since 1990. Under his leadership, the company has created an environment that is totally customer-focused. His business philosophy is basic and straightforward; “Everyday we focus our efforts on building a relationship of trust with our customers and today’s consumers, by establishing strong lines of communication, and fostering a true spirit of leadership and teamwork for our company and our customers.”
This optimistic philosophy has fueled rapid growth for the company. Its customer base includes more than 4,000 Walmart stores in the United States and Canada and more than 600 Sam’s Club locations. The company is also the worldwide distributor of video and music to the United States Army and Air Force, providing entertainment products to America’s Armed Forces.
Prior to joining the family business, Charlie enrolled as a marketing major at the University of Tennessee in 1972 on an athletic scholarship. He was a three-year letterman in football and received a bachelor’s degree in business administration in 1976.
Charlie’s dedication to Anderson Media is mirrored by his dedication to “giving back” to the community and the industries the company serves. His tireless efforts have raised millions of dollars for a wide variety of charities and includes past and present industry and personal affiliations:
- Lakeshore Park, Member of Board –1995-Present
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Country Music Association – 2004
- President, Board of Directors, Country Music Association – 2003
- Member, Board of Directors, Country Music Association – 1996-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, Knox Youth Sports, Inc. – 1994-2000
- Member, Board of Trustees, University of Tennessee – 2007-Present
- Member, Board of Directors, University of Tennessee Athletics – 2003-Present
- Recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus of the Year Award, University of Tennessee College of Business – 2005
- Inducted into the Junior Achievement Business Hall of Fame, East Tennessee Chapter – 2006
A native of Florence, Ala., Charlie is married to Moll Anderson and they have four children: Chase, Michael, Hayley and Lauren.
JOEL R. ANDERSON, CHAIRMAN
Joel R. Anderson, Chairman of Anderson Media, is widely known as both a dynamic executive and an active civic and community leader.
Joel was born and raised in Florence, Alabama, where he attended the University of North Alabama. He has spent most of his life involved in the family-owned business established by his late father, Clyde W. Anderson.
He and his wife Carmen have a daughter, Kristen, and son, Joel II. Joel’s daughter, Ashley has two children, Kate and Grant Ray.
Joel is active in a variety of civic and philanthropic activities centered on efforts to improve lives through education. Joel has served his community as director and chairman of the board of Riverhill School; director of Shoals Chamber of Commerce; director of First National Bank; chairman and founder of the Florence Library Foundation; chairman of the Shoals Literacy Council; and director of the YMCA and the Florence-Lauderdale Industrial Expansion Committee. He has also served as founder, chairman, and director of the American Fireworks Standards Laboratory, trustee of the Cardiovascular Institute of Philadelphia and a member of the University of North Alabama President’s Cabinet. He serves on the Nominating Committee of the University of Alabama Business Hall of Fame. He is on the board of directors of The Trump Tower. He is a major supporter of the New York City Police Athletic League, the Salvation Army, the United Way of Northwest Alabama, the Children’s Museum of the Shoals, the American Heart Association, and many other community organizations. He was chairman of the 2005 Donald Trump Library Benefit Dinner, raising over $400,000 for the Florence-Lauderdale Library Foundation.
His philanthropic, civic, and humanitarian endeavors have been recognized by the Anti-Defamation League when they honored him with their Distinguished Service Award on behalf of human rights, and by Brandies University with its National Distinguished Community Service Award. In 2003, he was the first recipient of The 25 Year Club Frank Herrera Award, the prestigious national magazine industry award. In 2006, he was named Shoals Citizen Of The Year.
JAY R. MAIER, CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
As Chief Financial Officer, Jay is responsible for the treasury, financial reporting and administrative areas of Anderson Media. He is also responsible for First Assurance, Inc., a South Carolina licensed insurance company, which operates as Anderson Media Corporation’s insurance captive.
Jay leads the company’s merger and acquisition activities. Highlights from his services have included:
- The “roll up” of dozens of magazine agencies, including the formation of regional joint ventures and mergers of several distribution companies, establishing the largest distributor of periodicals in the United States with annual revenues exceeding $1.6 billion.
- The acquisition of Clark Company, a logistics services provider of printed materials. Clark’s management together with Anderson invested $12 million. In 2008 Anderson and management sold its ownership to a SPAC for over $70 million.
- The formation of Magazines.com with key members of its management.
- The acquisition of Liquid Audio, headquartered in California’s Silicon Valley. The company’s leadership role in the sale and distribution of digital music content led to the operation of Walmart.com’s digital music website.
- The formation of Full Circle Music with Michael Hollandsworth. The company has published hit singles recorded by major recording artists.
- The acquisition of KA Display Solutions, a company designing and manufacturing display fixtures for leading retailers.
- The acquisition of Handleman, Canada and certain assets of the Handleman Company, allowing Anderson Merchandisers to expand its music sales to all Walmart stores in the United States and Canada.
Prior to joining Anderson Media in 1995, Jay was a partner with Arthur Andersen where he started their Baltimore office in 1979. He is a CPA with a bachelor’s degree with high honors in accounting and economics from the University of Delaware. Jay is a native of Wilmington, Delaware. He and his wife Julie have three children. The entire family are avid golfers with memberships in the Royal Dornoch Golf Club and Cruden Bay Golf Club in Scotland.
DAVID THOMPSON, SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FINANCE/TREASURER
David’s main responsibilities include overseeing preparation of the company’s financial reports, maintaining consolidated financial reporting, treasury management, corporate taxes and banking relationships. He also works with the company’s Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer on strategic initiatives, mergers and acquisitions, financial forecasts and budgets, the company’s captive insurance company and risk management. He has been involved in many of the company’s mergers and acquisitions during the period of his employment. Upon his initial employment with Anderson, he was the Director of Internal Audit.
David has been with Anderson for more than 12 years. Prior to joining Anderson, he served as a partner for a local public accounting firm in Knoxville, Tennessee. His primary focus in public accounting was auditing and consulting services with financial institutions and construction companies.
He is a CPA with a bachelor’s degree in accounting and computer sciences from Carson-Newman College.
He was born in Knoxville and resides there with his three sons. David and his family enjoy spending time on the lake in the summer and also many hours at his sons’ sporting events.
JOHN W. CAMPBELL, CHIEF INVESTMENT OFFICER
John has served in a variety of financial capacities for the Anderson Companies since joining the Anderson Companies in December 1993. He currently is responsible for overseeing our investments and administration. With his expert knowledge of reporting systems, John plays a key and important role on our due diligence and management teams.
John graduated from the University of Tennessee with a Bachelor of Arts degree in microbiology and a Master of Business Administration degree with concentrations in accounting and finance. John is a Certified Public Accountant and has worked with KPMG in its Nashville and Knoxville offices and both McGladrey and Coopers & Lybrand (predecessor to PricewaterhouseCoopers) in their Knoxville offices.
John is involved in many community organizations including:
- Great Smoky Mountain Council, Boy Scouts of America Executive Committee – Assistant Treasurer
- Central Baptist Church Bearden – Served as Chair of Deacons and Chair of Finance and Development Committee, currently an active deacon and serving on Finance and Development Committee and Minister of Music & Worship Search Committee
- Bearden High School Foundation – Vice President of Board of Directors
- KiMe Foundation for Cure for Neurological Diseases – Board Member
- Girl Scouts USA, Tanasi Council – Former Treasurer and Board Member
John is a native of Knoxville. He and his wife, CeCe have two daughters, Jennifer and Julianne.